Post hole borer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been erecting a panel fence over the last few months alongside an established Leylandii hedge (doing a couple of panels a month to spread the cost). I have been using metposts to take the 3"x3" posts but now I am getting to the older trees and the roots are preventing the metposts from being driven in.

I am considering hiring a post hole borer but I am not sure if one of these will go through the roots of these trees. Does anyone on here know if the machine will do the job?

Sponsored Links
unless you are using a large tractor mounted one then no they wont. A hand held petrol one will try to rip your hand off if it hits a large object. Youre better off digging it by hand and cutting through the roots as you come across them

Thermo said:
unless you are using a large tractor mounted one then no they wont. A hand held petrol one will try to rip your hand off if it hits a large object. Youre better off digging it by hand and cutting through the roots as you come across them

Thanks for the info - it would be one of those which is similar to a pair of bicycle handlebars with an engine strapped underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back