1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential decking disaster

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by sparkwright, 14 Sep 2021.

1. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Someone has decided to re-paint their decking.

It was originally oil-based sikkens stain, with a clear anti-slip coating on the top.

From what I gather, it has been rubbed down and now treated with Cuprinol water-based deck stain. Looks a bit like 'fence and shed' paint to me, doesn't give the impression of being hard wearing at all...

I can see where flaking bits have been scraped off, but by no means feathered out.

I imagine this new coating is going to peel very rapidly...

Before this happens, I am thinking about intervening to help these people out. Stripping it all off isn't an option, I'm not crazy enough to volunteer for that, especially as it hasn't peeled yet.

I was wondering if a coat of Zinseer Peelstop would be in order, followed by two coats of the Cuprionol water-based. Or even a different, oil-based finished?

Any thoughts on this please?

2. Lazzy

Lazzy

Thanks Received:
    Bouvet Island
    Would you need to touch up the flaking areas before you seal over them otherwise they may look paler.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, any flaking areas I would sand, and touch up with two coats of the water-based deck stain, then apply the peelstop all over, then two coats of the deck stain all over.

I should point out the new deck stain is quite opaque.

I gather peelstop is breathable, though there is the usual conflicting opinions on the internet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Old Salt

Old Salt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why not contact the manufacturer, some of them have technical help lines and should be able to advise on the product to use.

6. Sponsored Links