Potterton 30HE Fan/Flue fault? (Pic on Page 2)

I've got a Potterton Performa 28 which kept failing to operate giving me the fan/flue neon error - ChrisR correctly diagnosed a PCB fault. I'm with BG homecare - the engineer who came tried a new aps but after several other checks concurred with what Chris had said and ordered a new PCB. It was fitted the next day and has the boiler has been fine ever since.

It can be difficult on this forum to diagnose problems with some of the things we diyers describe but the experts are dealing with these things on a daily basis and have lots of experience. I respect their judgement.

I really do appreciate all the help that everyone including ChrisR have given us. There are some truly nice people on here.

Repair man is coming round' with the thermistor :eek: so lets see how he goes when i tell him i think its the PCB :rolleyes: Will let you know how i get on.

Sponsored Links
Another twist to the tale...

The repair guy has been around...and changed the thermistors, low and behold this did not sort the problem. When we offerd him the advice that the issue may be the PCB he said 'if it were the PCB then youd get no power at all'??? Is that the case??

He has now ordered two parts which relate to the air system...One of these i think he said was the air pressure switch and a new fan. Woudl this be right from the symptons you guys have been following so far?? The new parts are 'now on order'...

:rolleyes:

If he means no power to neon then he is wrong, if he means he is getting power to the fan but it`s not turning then he is right, but why would he also order the air pressure switch.
Are you paying for all these bits if so make sure he takes them off if it does not solve the problem,

Namsag guessed the pcb first, I must point out!
From a keyboard it has to be a bit of a guess.

Why do people go changing aps's and fans which are easy to test?? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Agree there chris in when we are not looking it is an educated guess , fan on these takes 2 mins to check , which makes me think why did he not order in first place if it was faulty .

The 105 is about the easiest boiler to diagnose faults on when you have it in front off you.
Getting a bit close to xmas to have no heat/water and it has gone on for over a week now for off the shelf parts.

Exactly my thoughts, its gone on far too long. He has only just diagnosed the fan problem :eek: Im with you two on the PCB front, im hoping its not the PCB now though as it will be ANOTHER wait!! The fan works fine. I myself have witnessed it turning..we will have to see what happens.

A 'new engineer' is coming out Saturday. We are lucky that the heating comes on and off with CH just enough time to heat the house before going off again or wed be running soley off electric heaters - luckily we have an electric shower too so havent had to suffer cold showers :LOL:

I would like to thank both Chris and namsag for your kind input aswell as others that have contributed.

Sooo the engineers came out again on saturday and after fiting the APS and fan low and behold there is still the same problem...the fan fault light is still on.

I am NOT happyone bit and an engineer will be coming out agai today. They seem to think that

1. There is a leak in the system or
2. That there is something wrong with the vessel?

I really at wits end with all of BUTCOs engineers. Today i will strongly suggest that he looks at replacing the PCB :evil:

Cannot understand their thinking there, boards are not expensive so can`t understand why they are not heading down that route .It could be a case of don`t try and tell me my job from what you have been told on a diy site

Cannot understand their thinking there, boards are not expensive so can`t understand why they are not heading down that route .It could be a case of don`t try and tell me my job from what you have been told on a diy site

The thing is ive not been oppressive with it. Ive merely suggested that it may be the PCB to which theyve point blank refused it. Engineer was meant to be here at 10am...not bad, its now 1430...oh and his mobile is switched off too :eek:

Hes just left and....no better off.

When he came it all seemed to be working ok and therefore said that inline with what the other engineers had done he was going to arrange for someone to fit the APS that apparently they didnt fit on saturday :eek:

Hes said failing that then it may be a PCB failure. All does seem to be working at the moment though so will have to wait and see.

Maintenance contracts are not always how they appear to customers. They imagine their system being kept in fine fettle by the pinnacle of the heating profession.

It would help you to understand that many of the insurance schemes involving fixed monthly/annual fees use subcontractors.

The subcontractor is paid per fault attended, often on a flat rate, for example £95.00. This includes most parts needed.

If the boiler needs repressurising, the subcontractor has a result. If it needs an expensive PCB, the subby makes a loss.

Therefore, the subcontractor will always try to expedite the cheapest and quickest repair/bodge to get away and claim his £95. If a £60 Grundfos pump fails, you are likely to find yourself with inferior substitute costing around £15. They will not want to change the PCB, if that is the fault.

There is normally a minimum period for the fault not to reoccur, often two weeks.

If you fancy this service, there are many companies offering it :rolleyes:

What you say simond makes sense but a fan and APS costs more than a board so this is bad diagnosis and not down to money

As expected the fan fault light is back on. I think this may have been down to bad diagnosis from the start but hey who am i to talk.

The OP has not commented on exactly what maintenance arrangement he has.

Reading between the lines I have deduced he is in some form of social housing and has no control of the work done or the timescale.

Thats a prime example of the very poor service some tenants have to put up with by very substandard contractors who do very poor quality work and often make up excuses of needing certain parts which take a week to get just to give them some time to keep up with the busy workload at peak times.

Clearly this is a situation he should not have been placed in but it will be difficult for him to get it improved or claim any compensation from the landlord for the totally unecessary delay in fixing a relatively simple boiler fault.

Although the Housing Associations say in their publicity that they give an exemplary service the reality is often just the opposite!

Tony

The OP has not commented on exactly what maintenance arrangement he has.

Reading between the lines I have deduced he is in some form of social housing and has no control of the work done or the timescale.

Thats a prime example of the very poor service some tenants have to put up with by very substandard contractors who do very poor quality work and often make up excuses of needing certain parts which take a week to get just to give them some time to keep up with the busy workload at peak times.

Clearly this is a situation he should not have been placed in but it will be difficult for him to get it improved or claim any compensation from the landlord for the totally unecessary delay in fixing a relatively simple boiler fault.

Although the Housing Associations say in their publicity that they give an exemplary service the reality is often just the opposite!

Tony

I am currently under a call out scheme with Endsleigh Insurance in line with my household insurance. But your right, i have very little control over the engineer work unless i want to stump up the extra cost from my own pocket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back