Potterton 50e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The thermal cutout on my Potterton boiler keeps tripping. I had an engineer out who said he adjusted the gas pressure (?) and it worked ok for a few days but the problem soon returned. The only clue I can give is I can't hear the water circulating when the timer switches on in the morning as I used to but the CH pump seems to be working. I can push the cutout in and everything works ok for an hour or two, but then it trips. Any clues please?

Sponsored Links
Check all the obvious stuff like pump working, bypass fitted if needed with all trv's system, 2 port valve not shut and system working constant, all controls components function properly, cold feed not blocked header tank full, etc, if all these ok change both over heat stat and boiler stat they are very cheap and have had them cause that fault twice this year with no call backs when new stats fitted.
Also check pump over run is wired correctly

Might be handy to know what the boiler model is - Profile 50e, Suprima 50e... ?

ChrisR said:
Might be handy to know what the boiler model is - Profile 50e, Suprima 50e... ?

It's a Profile 50e. Sealed system. It's been working ok for 12+ years so i'm sure it's something that's gone wrong with a componant.

Sponsored Links
corgigazza said:
Check all the obvious stuff like pump working

...and the pump is pumping, sounds like you answered your own question earlier. Is the pump impellor clear, and are both isolation valves open! :oops:

TheCasementKid said:
The only clue I can give is I can't hear the water circulating when the timer switches on in the morning as I used to but the CH pump seems to be working.
...and your evidence that the pump is working is...

meldrew's_mate said:
corgigazza said:
Check all the obvious stuff like pump working

...and the pump is pumping, sounds like you answered your own question earlier. Is the pump impellor clear, and are both isolation valves open! :oops:

TheCasementKid said:
The only clue I can give is I can't hear the water circulating when the timer switches on in the morning as I used to but the CH pump seems to be working.
...and your evidence that the pump is working is...

I can feel the vibration on the pump case. Is there any other way of checking? Also, how can I test the motorized valve is working correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back