Potterton Apollo 60si ignition cycle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just before Xmas 2004 my boiler packed-up. The maintenance contractors replaced the Air Pressure Switch, Printed Circuit Board and finally the Fan (over a 30 day period!)before it worked again. Since that time the boiler ignition is worryingly loud (like a small explosion) it will then run for a couple of minutes and then shutdown without reaching the required thermostat setting. After another couple of minutes the whole ignition sequence starts again, and again, and again until hours later the system reaches temperature. Can anyone advise me if there is a simple answer or should I call out the maintenance contractors yet again? (you must get the impression that I do not trust them!) Thanks for any help and guidance.

Sponsored Links
Potterton Apollo??? Do you mean Thorn / Myson Apollo?

Explosive ignition is often due to a dirty burner matrix near to the pilot on a Thorn Apollo - but let's get the make of boiler stright first!

Potterton is the name on the various booklets supplied with the boiler. It was installed about 10 years ago.
Thanks for your comments.

I think it's got to be a Myson Apollo, which Potterton took over and sold for a while.

If the boiler is 'cycling' on and off, chances are there's nothing wrong with it! That's what it's supposed to do when it fires and reaches the setpoint of its internal thermostat.

There has to be a flow problem in your system. I think als 10 years is a bit of an age underestimate. If it's been undermaintained all that time AND is an 'open vent' system (small feed tank tucked away somewhere high up) chances are its well and truly sludged up!

Sponsored Links
If there is an ignition adjustment on the pcb maybe it hasn't been set up properly, fitted a brand new Ideal mini and it wasn't right from the factory, it's needs a corgi man to check it out properly.

Thanks for the information - I 'll have to call out the experts?

kevplumb said:
dunno if its relavent but there is an amended connection diagram
between the pcb and the gas valve :idea:

Correct if the gas valve lead is not replaced also with the different pcb the main gas comes on, rather than pilot giving a loud bang when the burner lights, this also naffs the air pressure switch at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back