Potterton Flamingo 50s - NO HOT WATER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - this is my first post so be gentle - I really hope somebody has the answer else I am going to be in the bad books forever!!!

I have a Potterton Flamingo 50s and after a bit of DIY (remove a radiator -thus I drained they system) I am no longer getting hot water. The rads heat up fine and the bolier fires when the 'hot water' switch is turned on but it's just throwing out cold water all the time. I have a hot water storage tank but this isn't getting warm - so I don't know what the boiler is heating?

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in anticiaption

Sponsored Links
Is there an air vent in the pipe work next to the cylinder in the airing cupboard. usually on the higher pipe of the two above each other, higher one about halfway up cylinder. If so open it and bleed air out ;)

Sorry about the delay in replying - waiting for one of my daughters to get up!!!

There is an air bleed valve coming of the highest pipe entering the cylinder. I tried to bleed and it there was very little air before the water appeared.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Don't really understand what you mean by 'boiler fires but throws out cold water all the time'.

Can you be more precise?

Sponsored Links
I hope I can.

When I say the boler fires I mean that if I set the timer switch to 'hot water' only the bolier ignites as if it is heating something up (doesn't light for very long though), however, there is no hot water as the taps run cold all the time. Obviously I left it for a while to heat the water - but given the bolier isn't staying alight for very long I am not surprised.

By the way - thanks for your help on this

It sounds like you have an air lock some where in the pipework from boiler to your hot water cylinder back to boiler.

When you drained down and refilled, due to some quirky pipework on your system, air got trapped somewhere and wont budge.

Try draining down again and refilling more slowly being more attentive on letting air out as it fills back up. and not starting the pump whilst your doing it. :!:

Success - well sort of - I now have hot (ish) water

I drained both the CH and HW systems and filled both very slowly letting the air out of the rads and the HW using the bleed valve on the cylinder (thanks for the pointer on that) as I went and now the rads are warm and the water, as I said, is getting warmer.

The HW has always taken an age to warm here and I do believe it is because of 'quirky plumbing' so hopefully all is well.

Thanks for all of the help on this - my wife is now speaking to me again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back