Potterton Lynx Combi more than 13 years since installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an Ideal combi installed 3 years ago. My Potterton Lynx Combi kept cutting out when I ran hot water I found the guys who installed it they said it was time for renewing.
Mine is the ground floor flat. The flat above me still has P L Combi. When the heating was switched on September 05 it sounded in my flat like someone was hammering the pipes upstairs and a creaking sound which is like something expanding. The noise is bad because it is specifically above my bedroom and there's no chance of sleep when it's happening which is every time the heating is on or a shower is run. As neighbours go we get on but I need something to change and I can't sell up, no one would buy if they heard this. My neighbour can hear no noise in his property he says, I've heared no noise when I called up there to listen. The central heating pipes are fastened to the walls not buried in the cavity inbetween that flat and mine. There is a big space these are concrete lintel 70's build. Upstairs neighbour has heard the noise this Summer when invited to come and listen and Heating engineer has heard the noise in my flat and inspected upstairs but the heating has been fired up again this week and I don't know how to stop another 6 months of the same. During the summer the only noise was when the shower has been run upstairs and the noise is as loud but only lasts 3-4 minutes. Last year was the first time this happened although the heating had not really been used in that flat for 12 months prior to Sept 05. Any ideas guys?

Sponsored Links
Usually people who make these comments live quietly with no telle or radio on and just listen to their neighbours.

I would never complain about neighbours because I make a lot of noise with TV, radio and parties all until at least 0100 at weekends and midnight during the week.

Its probably pipes expanding because they have been fitted with felt at contact points. Thats quality work by members of the Institute not yer average get rich quick apprentice of old or 6 week course of new.

As you imply, whats in it for him? He cannot hear it!

Tony

I'm pleased you say usually people who have this noise problem sit and listen to their neighbours. I'm not usual people Tony. Thanks you have confirmed all I needed to know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back