Potterton Prima 50F problem - Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Potterton Prima 50F which keeps cutting off.
By that I mean that the pilot lamp just goes out every now and then.

My local plumber fixed it 4 times for me for free and has been telling me to replace the boiler.

Only yesterday night through this site and some other website, I found the reset button hidden below the boiler and after resetting the boilder it started working again.

Interesting fact is that my local plumber did not tell me of this reset switch and I have been living without central heating for 9 days until yesterday night (because last sunday the boiler turned off again).

The situation because so desperate that yesterday morning I went and bought a new boiler (potterton suprima 50f for £650 including flue kit) - only to learn later yesterday night that resetting the boiler brought it back to life.

Now I have a situation where either I get my existing boiler fixed, or get a new High Efficiency Condensing boiler fitted.

If I get the existing boiler fixed I will have to return the new boiler I bought and loose 25% price of the boiler as handling charges (£165 approx) + I pay someone to repair the existing boiler.

If I get the old boiler changed, then that will surely cost me atleast £1000-£1200 (£650 for the boiler + flue kit, and £500 approx for labour charges).

I really am lost and don't know what to do.

Can someone please suggest something?

Sponsored Links
Is this a re-post?

1. You dont have a pilot light (or lamp) to go off. Pilot ligh is part of ignition sequence.
2. If over heat is tripping out it may not be a boiler fault. Latent heat?, poor circualtion due to pump, blockage or dry system.
I guess latent heat is a boiler fault but only because of poor installation (no pump over-run).

Try running boiler stat on no.1 as a temp measure until you can gat a decent heating enginner to find the fault. (Always remember, no fix no fee)

David

Its worth a call to your local trading standards office & ask them where does the law stand on a restocking charge if the item u bought is is not suitable for what u bought it for. I was informed this week a major company will normally stand down when confronted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back