Potterton Puma 80 combi boiler pilot light going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help...

I have a Potterton Puma 80 that is behaving rather strangely , so strange that I've had the boiler man out twice and the problem doesn't seem to be solved.

The problem is intermittent but I have noticed that it usually occurs after running the hot water tap for a while - lets say a bath or washing up.

After about 2 minutes of turning the tap off there is a loud noise in my pipes and radiator (a bit like the sound you make dragging a spade on concrete) which then forces the pilot light to go out.

I have discussed this problem with lots of people who say that the noise is a backdraft of air in the pipes.

The boiler man has said that the pilot light going out is a safety cut out feature of my boiler when it is too hot and said my problem was due to the fact that all of my radiators are fitted with Thermostatic valves. He said one of them should not have this type of valve but a valve that keeps the radiator open. He told me to pull the top off one of the thermostatic valves and unscrew it to keep it open.
I have tried this but no joy - the pilot light keep going out. I am afraid to use the hot water!!

This problem occurs when the central heating has been both on and off.
I have bled the radiators - to just eliminate a air problem and the pressure of the boiler is between 1 and 2 bars

Can anyone help? :cry:

Sponsored Links
You have a pretty useless "boiler man" ! Does he enjoy being humilliated?

Thats a classic example of a sticking water flow switch.

Any competent boiler engineer ( I dont know about men as I dont go out with them! ) should know that.

If you are stuck with him then tell him what is the problem and get him to stop wasting your time and fix it ( at no additional costs I would suggest! ).

Its amazing what some men will aparently do if a woman cracks at whip at them!

Tony

Very common fault with this boiler, and the fun I had when a (now) customer of mine decided the o/heat stat was faulty a bypassed it!

He no longer messes with his boiler, as the panic he caused himself involved him calling the fire brigade! He was lucky. His kitchen was not!

The microswich can be adjusted / lubricated, but by someone experienced, as this is no guarantee of a repair.

I try this sometimes, with regular customers as thay know me personally and my reputation is not affected by a call back if the part fails again.

Same as repairing the PRV's on this boiler, as the grub screws often need drilling out.

Anyway I'm going off track.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back