Potterton Puma 80e - Re pressurising - No pressure - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone on here can help!!! Ppppplease.

I've just moved house last week and the problem is as follows. The flat has a Potterton Puma 80e Combi boiler.

The hot water through the taps has absolutely no pressure. The Pressure gauge is reading below 1 bar and only just above the red zone for the low pressure light. Hence absolutely no pressure!

I've opened the refill loop and basically the water just runs directly out of the over flow pipe straight out of the wall and onto the garden!

Also when you do try to refill, the system bangs away like theres no tomorrow and does so for about 5 seconds after you turn the water off.

Please help, I'm desperate for a decent bath!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I suspect you may have a problem with the pressure guage, the indicator needle is either stuck or giving a lower incorrect reading.

You have probably overpressurized boiler causing water to pour out of the prv and creating hammering noise on prv seat. prv lifts at 3 bar

Drain down boiler/system & check guage falls to zero - if not replace guage

I cant understand why you have no pressure in hot taps - this has no relevance to reading on pressure guage

SO are you saying that the pressure indicated on the pressure guage has no bearing on the hot water pressure coming out of the taps??

SUrely that can't be right?

What is it for then?

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but we have a gauge its for the heating system pressure, not ther hot taps

Breezer is correct the pressure guage on the boiler is for central heating only it has no bearing whatsoever on your tap water pressure.

Is the cold water ok, if it is then perhaps the hot water side has been turned off. Look underneath the boiler or where all the pipes exit there should be a 15mm pipe with a blue or red valve on it try turning this, if it doesn't work dont forget to put it back as you found it.

My Potterton Puma boiler is no longer firing up (Mains and Flame lights are not lit up), so I'm getting no hot water whatsoever. The central heating is still working though, but the pressure (?) guage is on red, could this be the problem with the water heating, I know someone on this forum says the pressure is not related to the water heating.
Help!!!

I don't understand how your central heating is working if the boiler isn't. The pressure should be set to around 1 bar. If the pressure is too low there is an interlock in the boiler to stop it coming on. Otherwise it could be the zone valve at fault.

I was wrong - the central heating and hot water are either both working or both not working, it is being inconsistent. We had a boiler guy round who adjusted the pressure because it was low, but this has not fixed the problem. In my flat the shower is used twice in the morning, and the problem has quite often been with the second shower, the boiler is just not firing up. Sometimes both the main and flame lights are on and nothing happens, this morning these lights wouldnt come on at all.

Any ideas?

the poor water pressure out of the hot tap is likely down to mains pressure or the filter in the incoming side for the boiler is blocked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back