Potterton Suprima 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Potterton Suprima 30. 9 years old now. When turning boiler on to heat water it fires up but then goes off after about 2 minutes. The red led on the panel lights up (not flashing). Thats it.
Pressing the reset button does nothing. It just clicks, green light flashes. When releasing the reset button the green light goes out and i'm left with the red led again.
I have not checked anything yet. Maybe you guys/gals could give me a few pointers. Thanks

Sponsored Links
have you read the manufacteuer instruction booklet an followed it ?

sounds like your boiler is overheating have you checked to make sure the pump is wired directly to the terminal on the boiler marked pump live,if it is then you could have a pump problem.

I am sure that a solid red light does not signify lock out, a flashing red one does.

Have you had a pcb upgrade yet

also in light of what corgigasman says do you hear any major hissing and/or banging noises from the boiler?

Sponsored Links
No hissing or banging. No I haven't had an upgrade. The boiler was fitted when the house was new in Dec 1997. Nothing has been changed or modified.

A flashing red light is meant to indicate a pcb fault, constant should mean another fault

Sometimes the green light will flash and boiler goes off. If you tap the boiler on the side where the pcb is the red light will then come on (but not flashing). I reckon I might just get a Worcester-Bosch combi like my parents. It's doing my head in all this messing about.

real problem bolier 3 really common faults on these = gas valve,pcb and spark electrodes

red light not flashing = no fault (its in standby mode with no demand or its in the delay mode normaly about 1-2 mins)
red light flashing = fault
green light flashing = lighting
green light = flame detected

from what you have said i would say the pcb has gone they have actually changed the whole pcb due to so many probs. the old pcb has 2 lights on and a indented reset button. the new one has a black reset button with 1 light that changes colour
i dont think it is the gas valve cos that normal flashes a red light due to old valves sticking and not letting gas out same with electrodes would flash up a fault
the maufac have changed the design of both the gas valve and pcb due to so many faults
if it was mine i would change pcb but you should get a corgi guy to do it due to stripping half the boiler to bits cos the old one just unplugs but the new one comes with all the wires attached to the pcb so you have to replace every wire on the boiler and having to open the combustion box up (should only be done by a corgi reg person) can be done in half an hour to an hour if you know what you are doing
changed about 15 this year due to the same prob never had any comebacks but obviously i arnt sat in front of yours
hope it is some help to you

its not just a matter of guessing its the pcb etc...

your boiler isnt locking out, a constant red light means there is a 240 live to your boiler, but no switched live. i would be looking further afield than your boiler. maybe the micr switched in your dv are failing...

you need to check your switched live on the connecter strip....

raden said:
A flashing red light is meant to indicate a pcb fault, constant should mean another fault

You are probably right raden but I though a solid red light light indicated that there was no demand on the boiler.

gas engin said:
real problem bolier 3 really common faults on these = gas valve,pcb and spark electrodes

And HT lead if it's the red dist. carbon type

Mr Raden. May i ask a question dear boy.
Out of interest where do you get your p.c.b`s and fans from to recondition. Or more importantly do you pay money for them :?:

poxi said:
Mr Raden. May i ask a question dear boy.
Out of interest where do you get your p.c.b`s and fans from to recondition. Or more importantly do you pay money for them :?:

I quite often get them given to me by fitters and I help them out when they want something

I'm happy to pay a few quid a board if that's what you're getting at

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back