POTTERTON SUPRIMA 40 - HOT WATER KEEPS TRIPPING OFF.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into this house which has a potterton suprima boiler in the kitchen with a gledhill Boiler Mate II upstairs. For some reason the hot water keeps turning off and we have to keep resettnig the trip switch on the Potterton Boiler in the mornings to get hot water - can anyone sugguest what the problem could be? :?:

Sponsored Links
Search other posts
theres skillions of them..... nearly all to do with the pcb's
We all know the part number 5111603 and its predecessor 5102160 off by heart.

ISTR that the Gledhill recommendation is to run the boiler at max temperature (thermostat on boiler turned right up). If it is, it may actually be overheating and tripping out for a good reason (unlike most Suprimas :evil: )

Try turning it down a little - but not too far; problem with heatstores is they need to be HOT.

I had this problem with my suprima 50. Following advice on one of these forums I removed the PCB ( 5 minute job - really) and checked the soldered joints on the back of the PCB. There were several 'dry joints' , joints with hairline cracks in the solder - very difficult to see. These dry joints seemed to be mainly on the joints of the thicker pins - I had about 6 but resoldered them all

I resoldered these joints using a fine tipped soldering iron and adding a little solder ( I used 40% lead solder from Halfords).

5 minutes to refit the PCB and it has worked fine since.

Sponsored Links
I think he was lucky!

Most of the intermittent faults on the suprima pcb are genuine electronic problems but often only happen once a week which is annoying but not urgent to fix.

Some idiots replace a pcb without checking the gas valve and then the second pcb blows in front of them. They then try to charge the customer for their stupidity!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back