Potterton Suprima 40 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Suprima 40, about 6 years old, that always needs resetting on the control panel to make it fire up. Once its running there are no problems but as soon as it shuts down it needs resetting again. Is this likely to be a problem with the PCB?, and if so how easy are they to replace?

Sponsored Links
i could be, but there are a few other things it could be..........these would need checking by a proffesional.

the boards themselves are easy to change, but as corgi states you need to be qualified.........

I'm having the same problem, though I'm moving house soon and need to get this fixed. A mate who is a gas engineer said that the temp setting on the boiuler may be too high, but it's more likely to be the PCB. I'm testing out the temperature theory first as the PCB costs about £150.

George

[I had the problem described with my suprima 40 this week I called the helpline which was excellent they guided through the check for all the sensors which could stop the boiler firing up ie the pressure switch,temp sensor,overtemp sensor & spark generator which all checked out fine leaving only the PCB :( The new one is an updated version & requires a full rewire of the boiler ! this is apparently a common fault on these boilers. My boiler is now working perfectly ( Pcb costs £214 plus vat )

Sponsored Links
I've yet to come across one that intermittently needs resetting which isn't down to a duff pcb

I've had dirty connectors - granted they're still on the board! And I've heard than the hi limit stat can go intermittent but not seen it. HT leads can die a frustrating death too.

The new one is an updated version & requires a full rewire of the boiler ! this is apparently a common fault on these boilers
It's not just the board - the upgrade kit includes PCB (now in a sealed box) and new sheet metal side box to carry it AND a new wiring loom.

If you have a Suprima 100, you also need an adapter kit for the fan motor.

And, worst of all, when you fit the whole contraption, it may not work! I did one yesterday. On the old PCB the boiler tended to get into the locked-out state requiring a 'reset' but there was no other significant problem. With the new board, there is now an intermittent ignition problem, so that it may take several attempts to light and (of course) if it gets past four, it locks-out. At this stage I suspect an unfortunate interaction between the spark-on time on the new board and the ramp-up time for the gas pressure via the soft-start feature of the gas valve. In other words, by the time there would be enough gas around to light reliably, the PCB has timed out, shut the gas valve and started to 'go round again'. This only happened today and I have not yet fixed it. I'll keep you all posted.

It would be useful if someone could tell me how long the spark runs for on the OLD board. I don't have a working old-style Suprima to play with.

A Woosta did that a few years ago. 35cdi I think. Botch fix as advised if you asked them nicely was to increase the lowest gas pressure adjustment on the GV.
Have you had to drill an extra mounting hole in the metalwork yet on one of these?!!

Ye gods. If Toyota made a boiler they'd clean up.

Update on new PCB into Suprima 100.

The story so far: installed a new PCB (plus wires and a new overheat sensor but NOTHING else) to fix intermittent lockouts. Had no 'supplementary kit' for the fan (which on the original models of this boiler REQUIRED a large starter capacitor mounted under the PCB in the card cage) so modified the old wiring to include the old capacitor and pick up live and neutral from the new PCB (note that the new PCB wires are BOTH Violet coded!). Fan ran fine but ignition on boiler was VERY intermittent. Given that I had touched NOTHING except PCB, cage and wiring on the boiler and ignition had been fine before I started, I called out Potty.

Engineer said he had been told that old pattern fan and new PCB were incompatible, so installed a new fan - which does NOT need a starter cap.
This was getting seriously expensive but new fan actually made no difference.

Ignition problem eventually turned out to be an 'interaction' between the new PCB / wiring and the very small clearance between the ignition electrode and the side of the combustion chamber. Apparently due to higher HT voltage and / or changes to the grounding of the burner body (used to go straight to the PCB, now goes to the frame earth tag), the spark was arc'ing from the electrode shank onto the CC side plate instead of from the tip onto the burner. A new electrode did exactly the same. Fixed the problem by reducing the spark gap by bending the electrode tip down (even more from where someone else had already bent it!).

Just had the same problems as you and had the pcb board replaced at a cost of £300.Now works perfectly.Potterton where contacted but have never replied.Apparently there are now 13 versions of the pcb board fix. Plumbers are reluctant to repair as other faults rear their ugly heads after the original fix. I now have to find a Potterton Suprima Boiler to exchange with mine that has had a leak rusting and rotting internal body. If I had the money I would bin the Potterton Boiler as to be truthfull they are GARBAGE. Imagine having a car and the wheels kept falling of , THEY WOULD BE RECALLED!!!! Not Potterton, there boilers are cheap n cheerfull, great for large build projects, like my housing estate.

Yeah real rubbish. But think what they'd be like if Microsoft made them. You'd find it on the floor every morning.

KBIRD said:
I have a Potterton Suprima 40, about 6 years old, that always needs resetting on the control panel to make it fire up. Once its running there are no problems but as soon as it shuts down it needs resetting again. Is this likely to be a problem with the PCB?, and if so how easy are they to replace?

View the BBC watch dog web site for documented problems and the solution

MOD 2

seeing as the post you have replyed to is 2 years old you may be just a bit late

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back