Potterton Suprima 70L Boiler Locking Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler keeps locking up. It is a Potterton Suprima 70L (gas). I have to use reset to get it to start. It will then work fine either for several seconds or several hours up to the moment when the pump over-run completes. After this the boiler is unresponsive and just sits there with the red LED on and the green LED off. New calls for heat are ignored until the reset is pressed.

This occurs even if the boiler starts off cold and the burner is only on for a few seconds before I switch it off so the problem can't be due to overheating.

If a new call for heat is made before the pump over-run finishes (it lasts for about two minutes) then the boiler will continue to work okay.

The boiler is 3.7 years old.

I have just had my faulty 16 year old three-port motorised valve replaced with two two-port motorised valves.

My pump is 16 years old.

My boiler worked fine until the two port valves were installed. Using a bypass to remove the residual heat from the boiler may mean it got hotter than it did previously. Also the plumber may of put the boiler on maximum heat while he was testing the work he had done. So the boiler may of overheated and something got damaged though now the problem no longer depends on heat.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have as to what the problem might be and what should be done about it.

Sponsored Links
Search the forum for similar problem. Most likely the PCB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back