Potterton Suprima 80L not running circulation pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I am having a problem with our heating system. Everything is working as expected except that the pump is not being run. Therefore boiler (Suprima 80L) quickly and correctly cuts out. Pump appears to be free but I cannot detect any power to the pump. System is four years old Y plan configuration and Grundfos 15/50 pump. Have therefore come to the initial conclusion that the boiler PCB (almostly certainly 8407750) has partially failed. Do the experts believe I am on the right track or should I try something else before calling a Potterton engineer. Any advice gratefully received. I understand the later 5111603 PCB is much more reliable.

Sponsored Links
As the Suprema is fitted with a pump overun, the pump will be controlled by the boiler.

As you say you cannot detect power at the pump, have you tried looking for a live at the live pump supply terminal at the boiler?

If you get a live there but not at the pump, the fault is outside of the boiler, if no live at the pump terminal in the boiler assuming there is power to the boiler and a run signal is comming from the heating controls (which it as as you say boiler fires and then cuts out quickly) fault will be the PCB as you suspect.

Call potterton out quoting watchdog. They will check and replace pcb if faulty foc.

Thanks very much for the information. Have tested the pump output on the terminal block whilst the boiler is fired up and get no voltage. Looks conclusive that the PCB has partially failed.
Will call Potterton tomorrow as suggested and will let you know how I get on.

Sponsored Links
I hate those guys! - givem hell!!!

Cartman.jpg

:D :D Called Potterton on Thursday. Did not mention watchdog but said that my original installation engineer indicated there have been some problems and gave them the serial number. Service guy immediately said they would send someone to check and if the boiler has a manufacturing fault will fix foc. Engineer arrived today (Monday) agreed the board was faulty and installed new updated version foc.

Many thanks to those on the forum (without you it would have cost me £300+!) and to be fair Potterton for the way they handled the problem.
:D :D

Great news - Potteton must really be sh1tting themselves now - or are so used to dealing with these complaints that they have a dedicated PCB swapping team. :D

Still its only taken them what? 6 years?

Call potterton out quoting watchdog. They will check and replace pcb if faulty foc.

Hi, I have same problems as OP, have had nothing but problems over the last 4 years with our Glendhill Boilermate and have spent just over a £2000 to try and rectify our hot water and heating problems. Recently changed PCB on the boilermate along with many other things which worked for a few weeks and now find the Potterton keeps tripping out and needs to be reset several times a day. The units are just under 6 yrs old

Our neighbor has had same problems and just fitted a new pcb for their Potterton after spending alot of £££ on her Boilermate to find it was the PCB on the Potterton that needed changing. Alot of plumbers dont seem to know much about these systems and were just guessing as what was wrong

So I just want to know if I can call potterton and quote watchdog. Will they replace pcb (8407750) if faulty foc or will i have to pay???

regards
Jay

Hi, I posted the original problem. The reason for the boiler continually cutting out was that the pump (controlled by the PCB in the boiler) was not always running. Hence the boiler became too hot and the safety cut out operated as designed. You need first to find out if the problems are caused by the pump not running - you can detect this by just listening or to amplify put a screw driver on it and put the handle to your ear. If it is not running need to find out why - if the PCB has failed in the same way as mine there will be no current supplied when the boiler is running - hence pump cannot run. However, there could be other reasons why the pump is not running so this needs to be checked out.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread Potterton were actually very good in the way they handled the problem. The PCB was acknowledged to be faulty due to a design / manufacturing problem and was replaced with a new specification PCB free of charge. However, this was some time ago and I do not know if the problem is still lurking out there in the field.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Post is over two years old!

No Potterton will not replace free of charge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back