Potty Pressure vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler starting to show worrying swings of pressure - 1 bar cold to 3 bar hot. I've read previous posts and the faqs, so knew enough to recharge the pressure vessel (I took it to approx 1 bar with boiler drained) but this made no difference.

So this indicated the vessel needed replacing. To confirm, I released the air from the schrader valve to look for tell tale water droplets - but it was dry!

Which is why I am now posting. Should a faulty vessel reveal water if it has failed or is this only one possible clue?

Secondly. if I have to replace the vessel, I will mount the replacement under the boiler. Would you advise using the existing braided connecter to connect the new vessel, or is it likely to be factory tight and impossible to undo? Would it be best to T off the flow pipe in 15mm and attach a new braided connector to that?

Thanks in advance!

Tony - if you're reading this, do you have a website? I'd like to see if Agile Services serve my area.

Sponsored Links
sorry, fellas - its a Potty Lynx 2!
doh!

If you put in a second vessel you leave everything inside the boiler entirely as-is and connect the new EV directly to the heating return pipe.

Note that if you
released the air from the schrader valve
and did not re-pressurise it, there is now no preload in the existing EV and it definitely won't work!
see FAQ on repressurising expansion vessels.

To test for a leaking EV you must have the system pressurised first.

Recharge with the system open ALL the time you are doing it and charge the air to 0.8 Bar then repressurise the water to 1.5 Bar.

Watch the air pressure WHILE you repressurise the water !!! It should go up to 1.5 like the water otherwise you have a blocked feed pipe to the EV ???

Tony

Sponsored Links
BLocked ev pipe would account for your recharging the ev making no difference.

Thanks CroydonCorgi, ChrisR and Agile - your usual helpful advice. The possibility of a blocked feed pipe is something that would never have occurred to me!

Tony - do Agile Services have a website?

thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back