power flue ?

21 Jan 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
hi' ideal w2000 has just packed up ..this was located in the kitchen on an internal wall with a flue going up through the roof and an air feed via a largish flexi pipe to the outside. ..bungalow with a loft conversion.. the heating engineer wants to replace this with the same type of boiler but a floor standing one.. question can i have a combi boiler put in the airing cupboard which is where the flue runs up to the roof ?is there a combi with a powered air intake fan or something so that its safe ???
id like it taken out of the kitchen to free up some space and would be willing to do away with the hot water cylider ?
thanks.. :?:
Sponsored Links
i like combis, but they do need consideration as to if it is really suitable for you.

try a search for which combi
Subject to how long the flue run would be and how many bends required you can have a vertical fan flued combi which would most likely fit in your airing cupboard, you wont need any ventilation for combustion air but you may need ventilation to keep the compartment cool depending on clearances, there are lots of different makes to choose from, I dont recommend condensing boilers, things to think about are what your mains water flow rate is to start with, how much flow rate you expect from your hot taps, how far is it to the gas meter from the airing cupboard.
Worcester 28CDi with the Worcester RF digisat works well for my customers,
make sure the installer fits it all to Part L regs, flushes the existing system adeqautely and works to the included Benchmark log book which comes with the boiler and you should have no problems, if you are fitting to an existing older heating system I would insist he fits the optinal Worcester open vent kit to keep the heating system on low pressure, this will mean no nasty suprises later with burst radiators and leaky valves ect.
I've seen lots of worcester boilers on a vertex flue system and glow-worms on twin flue pipes of over 10m.
Sponsored Links
Most combi boilers have a vertical flue that would do as you describe and a lot are available with twin flues up to 15m high,the tech and spec sheets should be available at your local merchants for most of the larger brands. Why do you want afloor mounted combi instead of a wall hung model.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local