power shower fan and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok,
What about this one. Can I power my extractor/light and power shower all from the ring main spur via the same pull cord switch ??. I know usually one comes off the lighting circuit for extractors, but as a switch is needed for both power shower and extractor I was wondering about combining them both

Sponsored Links
Maybe I could carry on to the extractor from the shower then continue the loop into the ring, effectively taking them both from the ring circuit.
mmmm

Sponsored Links
Power shower meaning a little electric pump, with no heating elements, fused at 5A or 3A through an FCU? Yes, you could put them through a fused spur. You might be able to run them off the lighting circuit, if the pump takes (say) only 2 or 3 Amps, otherwise you are likely to overload the lighting circuit when you have lamps on as well. It is very common to control the fan with the light switch, less common to do the shower pump.

But if you mean an electrically heated shower, then, as macmini says, it will need a substantial circuit of its own, not spurred off the ring.

artgeezer said:
Maybe I could carry on to the extractor from the shower then continue the loop into the ring, effectively taking them both from the ring circuit.
mmmm

No. you must not do that. A fused spur is not a loop. If you're not familiar with how to do a fused spur, then (without wishing to be rude) you are probably not safe to do the job. Additionally, DIY wiring in bathrooms needs, by law, to be notified to your Local Authority Building Control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back