Powermax 155 Loud Metal Grinding Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Powermax 155 open system (horrible piece of work) that has been making this loud noise ever since I have been in this house (approx 2-years). Anyway its finally annoying me now and I want to try and sort it out.

I spent some time looking into the noise problem and here are the symptoms: -

1) Noise sounds like a metal binding noise that lasts approximately 5-seconds.
2) It makes the noise periodically only while the boiler is on.
3) It always makes this noise when the boiler is first switched on (via programmer/controller or manually) at the moment when the burner is ignited.
4) The sound emmunates from the sump.

My final thought and I must stress I am not a plumbing/heating engineer is that in the sump there is a metal plate that covers the flew to stop damp wind penitrating the boiler when not in use. When the burner lights the pressure or heat from the combustion pushes this plate open to allow the gases to escape up the flew. I think the horrible noise is generated when this plate in the sump is opening/closing and binding, thus making this horrible noise.

If my diagnosis is correct is there any chance on repairing this or what are the risks of putting up with the noise i.e. is there a possibilty that this plate could seize shut and not allow the combusted gases to escape? !!!!!

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Regards
Gary

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back