pre finished wood flooring? Engineered or solid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am planning on laying a solid oak floor direct to concrete sub floor. Have done research on the subject and have read conflicting advise regarding using solid boards or engineered. Most I've read seem to favour engineered due to less moisture content(?) and therefore less expansion / contraction (?). I would prefer to have solid oak as I just think it looks better. It will be installed as a floating floor. Secondly what are anyones thoughts on a pre finished floor? Obviously a time saver but is it really practical, I mean if there is any slight movement surely it will need to be sanded again anyway? I have 20 year old concrete floor which has been self levelled at some point in its life - how level does it have to be for a solid floor? Will dpm and insulation make up for some out of level spots or should I make sure its perfect in the first place and how?
Sorry for long blurb!
Look forward to your advice!
Cheers,
Cure

Sponsored Links
Hi Cure

Why wouldn't full-plank wood-engineered flooring look as good as solid? When it's installed no one can tell the difference or even 'hear' the difference if you use a proper quality and a proper underlayment. Since you're installing the floor floating even a solid floor on rubbish underlayment will sound like Melamine plastic.

Pre-finished floors are a real time saver, don't really understand what you mean by resanding the floor when there is movement??

A underfloor may sloop 2mm over 1 meter and proper underlayment (3 - 4mm) will take care of any minor imperfections. Use a combi product where the DPM is already attached to the foam, again real time saver.

Hi Woodyoulike and thanks for your reply!
With regards to movement I meant say after a week/month or so when the wood has fully acclimatised (?), but with proper dpm as you said I guess that eliminates that. Good idea with the engineered single plank boards - have only seen the 3 strip type which aren't my cup of tea. If I went for pre finished as oppose to sanded, would the costs / time /hassle of finishing the floor myself outweigh the cost of pre finished floor? In essence is it better to lay engineered boards to concrete or solid? Or doesn't it really matter? Thanks again for your help!
Cure

Sponsored Links
Hi Cure

Yes, the pre-finished board price (not much difference in price, between £ 3 - £ 5 per sq m) is worth reducing the hassle ect (and don't forget you have to buy the finish material also, applicators, cleaning materials, master-tape for skirting boards, doorpost etc).

Both solid and Wood-Engineered can go on concrete (although when underfloor heating is imbedded in concrete go for the Wood-Engineered) as long as the proper underlayment is used, and of course the concrete is dry enough. But Wood-Engineered floors can take more changes in humidity before showing gaps or filling the expansion gap so far the floor starts to rise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back