Preferred placing of TRVs

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I know that most modern TRVs claim to be bi-directional, but is there a preferred position? Should a non-bi-directional be fitted on Flow or Return?

Sponsored Links
corgiman wrote

its always best to pop a TRV on the flow

i disagree with that statement :eek: always prefer to fit bidirectional valves on the ret with the head horizontal away from the heat source,rather than upright and next to the heat source.just my preference really,as an apprentice trv always went on the flow[rhs]of rads thats the way it was done,must admit bi directional trvs were not about at that time but then we always piped rads tboe.

Sponsored Links
Horses and Courses.

It doesnt matter whether they are on flow or return so long as the arrow is pointing the right way.

Its a case of striking a balance between likelihood of mechanical damage, aesthetic requirements and functional requirements.

I go for function where there is a choice and aim for getting the sensor horizontal and in the best location for sensing average room temperature.

Fitting 'bi-di' TRV's gives you more options

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back