Preparation for slate floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start tiling the kitchen floor, using riven grey slate tiles in various sizes, 300 x 300, 600 x 600, 200 x 400 etc.which are of varying thicknesses according to the size The layout is all planned and originally it was going to be done by a professional, but the schedule has changed and we can't get a pro in time. So it's down to me.

The sub floor is one third new (3 months) concrete screed with the remainder the mortar bed of the old quarry tiles that were removed. This mortar bed has the impression of the back of the old tiles - 3 'bars' about 2mm deep from each. Overall the floor is pretty sound, but there is a fall from left to right of almost 1.5" across the 2.7m width, caused by very old (40 years +) subsidence. I have previously used levelling compound but the fall makes it almost impossible to get a satisfactory result. But we can live with the slope.

I am planning to use a thick bed of Wickes Rapid dry adhesive with a coat of PVA on the sub floor before tiling. Hopefully the adhesive will allow adjustment of the level of the tiles to keep the top surfaces in roughly the same plane. Some of the adhesive will be 1 or 2 mm thick while elsewhere it will be almost 15mm thick. I'm also planning to pre-seal the tiles before laying to prevent adhesive/grout staining.

Any suggestions as to a better adhesive/different approach etc, to make the job better/ easier. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Check the packet of the Wickes adhesive most normal rapid setting adhesives only have a bed thickness of 3-6mm. You would be better off with a specific thick bed adhesive such as BAL pourable thick bed or Motobond.

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/main/poly_mdfd.html

I have used Motobond on similar sized slate with no problem, I also smoothed out the old adhesive marks with a layer of Mapie leveling compound.

PICT0002.gif

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back