Pressure loss on a combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit confused about the workings of a combi boiler, which i hope someone can enlighten me. When a combi boiler loses pressure on the central heating loop, which is closed, it has to be be repressurised. I can fully understanfd that, howegver when the pressure drops to about 0.5 the hot water part of the combi fails to heat the water for the kitchen, etc. Why is that, i would have thought the hot water operation was independant of the ch pressure, working like an old fashioned ascot heater. Can someone explain this , thanks

Sponsored Links
Low water pressure switch. prevents dry fire

zinnia48 said:
I am a bit confused about the workings of a combi boiler, which i hope someone can enlighten me. When a combi boiler loses pressure on the central heating loop, which is closed, it has to be be repressurised. I can fully understanfd that, howegver when the pressure drops to about 0.5 the hot water part of the combi fails to heat the water for the kitchen, etc. Why is that, i would have thought the hot water operation was independant of the ch pressure, working like an old fashioned ascot heater. Can someone explain this , thanks

the water that heats the hot water is the same water that is in the ch system, so if that is low, then it will affect the heating of your hot water.

Basically, if there was no water in the ch system, then you would not get hot water at your taps, as it is this water which heats your hot water taps

Sponsored Links
zinnia48 said:
Thanks for that, does that still apply if the boiler is switched to hot water only?

Yes because its still using the same water, all that means is that the boiler wont come on for central heating

its the same primary water/burner that is heated to give you hot tap water via the plate heat exchanger so if you have no system pressure for ch you have no system pressure for DHW ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back