pressure loss on sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new central heating system installed in July and then the system was extended by the addition of two new radiators in a new loft extension. After this point we started to experience pressure loss - we are topping up the system at least twice a day.

We've checked the radiators for leaks and there is no visible sign of a leak in the ceilings. The safety valve also seems to be OK nor does the system seem to be over-heating and water escaping through the overflow pipe. Everything seems to point towards a leak on the ground floor, but I wondered whether there are any other possibilities / avenues that we could explore.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pipes buried in solid ground floor :?: :cry: a dose of internal leak sealer might be worth a try before you have to re- pipe :confused:

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but;

we have just gone through a similar scenario. Leak in pipes buried in concrete on ground floor (been there about 30 years), fixed but 6 months later another leak somewhere else. Only thing to do is bite the bullet and re-pipe. I've had mine done in such a way that we do not need to disturb the floor again if there is a leak i.e. all pipes are now hidden behind skirting boards. We did try leak sealer with zero success.

Sorry
Steve

Gulp. Thought it might be case. Good advice about resiting the pipes. I'll probably try the leak sealant just in case, but I'm not that hopeful.

Sponsored Links
Have you inspected the boilers heat exchanger for possible leakage. These leaks can dry very quickly when the boiler is in use (for obvious reasons).

I encountered this scenario on a Vokera Mynute System boiler that had been installed 6 months.

Long shot though

Dave

I think I am right in saying that this sealing solutions are bad news on a pressurised combi boiler system as they gum up important vents. So be aware. I'm no plumber but I do recall seeing something to this effect on these forums somewhere.

Soggy_weetabix said:
Have you inspected the boilers heat exchanger for possible leakage. These leaks can dry very quickly when the boiler is in use (for obvious reasons).

I encountered this scenario on a Vokera Mynute System boiler that had been installed 6 months.

Long shot though

Dave

We checked everything but were losing all pressure in the system (1 bar -> 0 bar ) in an 8 hour period so we would have seen anything at the boiler or outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back