pressurised hot water tank on vented boiler system??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat which has all cold water taps at mains pressure. my hot water gets its pressure from a header tank about two feet above the top of the cylinder and frankly I can p*ss harder than my hot water taps.

To get high pressure hot water, could I put in a cylinder which operates at mains pressure but still operate on my conventional vented boiler system?

If so, are there any potential problems with such a system and does it need any special attention when installing it?

What would be the way in plumberspeak to describe such a system and any recommended brands of these cylinders?

Sponsored Links
Its called an unvented system.
needs to be instaled by an appropriately qualified plumber.
Should be ok off your current boiler if all is working ok.
They should be serviced regularly because their safety depends on mechanical valves.

Just beware, they are expensive to live with when any parts need replacing.

Sponsored Links
Top of the heap, arguably is a "Megaflo". Note the spelling. Mega Flow and suchlike is a term often used to mean Unvented Cylinder. There are lots ofother makes, all cheaper, and none of them is BAD as such. Eg Oso, Albion, Ariston, Telford and others. Some are stainless steel, which cost more but is supposed to last longer though I've never come across a failed one.
Before you go that route, find out what your Mains pressure and flow are ; if everything's going to be off the mains it has to be quite good.

bobb said:
I have a flat which has all cold water taps at mains pressure. my hot water gets its pressure from a header tank about two feet above the top of the cylinder and frankly I can p*ss harder than my hot water taps.

To get high pressure hot water, could I put in a cylinder which operates at mains pressure but still operate on my conventional vented boiler system?

If so, are there any potential problems with such a system and does it need any special attention when installing it?

What would be the way in plumberspeak to describe such a system and any recommended brands of these cylinders?

your hot water is blocked mate, i assume that all the hot taps in your falt are the same flow? poor! if so more than likley u just got some muck blocking the 22mm hole at the bottom of the cylinder, wouldnt bother wasting your money, leats check it 1st

shaneo said:
your hot water is blocked mate, i assume that all the hot taps in your falt are the same flow? poor! if so more than likley u just got some muck blocking the 22mm hole at the bottom of the cylinder, wouldnt bother wasting your money, leats check it 1st

last time I looked the hot water came out of the top connection on my cylinder. not easy to block that with sludge.

does block with scale tho
would think if you only have 600mm head that is more likley to be the problem
couldnt you pump the hot supply
lot cheaper than unvented :)

kevplumb said:

thought about that bu was told I would need a much larger cold water tank. i've just got one of these piddly little ones built into the hot water tank which would empty in no time if I pumped the hot water.

mate your not getting it, if the hole at the bottom bolcks the water cant get into the cylinder then you will still have awefull hot water, it dont just have to block the hole at the top,
also if when u 1st switch it on the water is ok for a few secs????????
that would also suddgest a blockage

also think when the last time it worked was?

but what can i say if he still wants to spend out i suppose someone batter go flease him :D

ow u may need a new tank if its never worked properly, if it only just started i would still say blockage somewhere

kevplumb said:

can you put a pump just in the hot water line and leave the cold at mains pressure? I've only ever seen double headed pumps to pump hot and cold.

any recommended brand of pump?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back