preventing movement of granite worktop installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a large granite worktop installed in a kitchen. Looking at it now, I'm concerned that tiny movements over time will lead to cracking and am looking for any advice.

The worktop layout is U shaped. The "vertical" legs of the U are up to 2500mm long. The "bottom" of othe U is maybe 1000mm but it has a cut-out for a sink so there's actually not much granite there. In total there are three pieces which have been guled together (I guess it's some kind of epoxy).

The units underneath, although solid, will move very slightly with temperature and humidity and if people push hard enough on them and so on. I fear the piece with the sink cut-out will end up taking all the stress and, since with the cut-out it's reduced to a fairly thin piece, won't it soon crack?

Is there any way to protect my investment?

Sponsored Links
Your epoxy joint will probably fail first, they tend to crack after a year or so, some granite fitters use a more flexible silicon type joint filler.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back