Preventing water penetration on sheets of chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you seal up sheets of Chipboard in order to prevent water / dampness penetration?

I using chipboard as a baseboard for my model railway and although I'm very confident that the workroom it will be in is now dry I just wanted to take an extra precaution by sealing the chipboard.

Sponsored Links
signalnorth said:
How do you seal up sheets of Chipboard in order to prevent water / dampness penetration?

I using chipboard as a baseboard for my model railway and although I'm very confident that the workroom it will be in is now dry I just wanted to take an extra precaution by sealing the chipboard.

What possible harm could come to it? Is your railway in the bathroom? I'm sure any water would do a lot more damage to your expensive train set than an £8 sheet of chipboard.

agreed, but suppose he spilt a glass of water on it, have you seen what some railway sets look like when finsihesd? (they are not my cup of tea, but the can look really good)

dont worry i had a layout in my dads loft for around 10 years through the extremes of cold and hot no probs except the dust :D

peco nickel silver track and jacson scale wheels if you can still get them

i still have part of the origional baseboard in my attic and its starting to suffer mind you its now 35 years old now :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
for a cheap and easy water resistant treatment, you can use water-based Fence stain (available in browns and dull green). It leaves a waxy finish so e.g. spills and splashes will not soak in and you can mop them up.

being a baseboard "john d" it will need to take paint glues for all the scenery houses and copious amounts of paper mache :D :D
so a waxy finnish may cause "leaves on the line " :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back