Printer colour use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When using printer to print colour and black, does cartridges use colour cartridge to print the colour AND black, or colour cartridge for colour and black cartridge for black? I've got a HP PSC 1610. Its just my old printer used the colour cartridge for the black if it had the slightest bit of colour on the printout

Sponsored Links
Some do some dont, if you have a printer that has two cartridge one colour and one black then it should use the black for the black and thats that, if you take the blank cartridge out you get no black. Cant say 100% on your HP model but thats the way it is on all the HP's i have ever worked on.

maybe your old printer had a single cartridge ?

Long time ago since I saw a printer with only the one, they usually have at the least one colour (which contains yellow, magenta and cyan) and a black, more often now you have 6 or so.
Anyways, when printing colour, unless printing yellow, magenta or cyan only then it will more than likely use some black as well and therefore probably refuse to print colour if the black is empty. Black should use black only, and in theory of course when the colour(s) is/are empty then black should print, however printer manufacturers make little profit on the printer itself, but plenty on ink so it is often the case that if one runs out then the printer wont print till you replace both (that only applies to printers that take a black and a colour cartrigde - printers that use multiple shuold print as long as there is sufficient in in them all)

Having been on a number of HP training events , it is fact that it can vary from model to model. As stated by others once the black runs out "some" printers wont let you print colour while on others it will. Again this is down to the make/model involved, for example on the cheepo deskjet types you can run out of black ink and still print colour, but on some of the higher spec models it can stop you printing at all...and probably confuse most people as to why its stopped.

Sponsored Links
Very much depends on the model in question, when printing colour, some wil lmix all 3 colours to get black - although that usually results in amuddy brown rather than black. Some printers have a black cartridge specifically for colour printing, and a separate black for B&W printing (So you can use a cheap refil for your text printing, and a decent quality one for your pictures etc.).

Karl Austin said:
muddy brown rather than black

Yup - known in techincal terms as 'composite black'... which doesn't begin to describe how bad it can look!

As regards this printer I no longer have contact with HP engineers and neither do I have any up to date technical information. You could 'try' contacting HP Support Centre but past experience has told me that 1st Line Support are unable to answer anything meaningfully :confused:

Back