printing red

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just changed both ink cartridges in my h.p.deskjet3820 and all im getting is red printing. Ive set the printer to print only black but still it comes out red.Running windows xp home edition.Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Allenm said:
You have put the cartridges in the correct slots haven't you?

Merv

Cant do otherwise,ones a fat un others a slim un.just checked anyway ;)

could be just a silly mistake: like not pealing away the protection slip from the black one?
Don't laugh, happened before ;)

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
could be just a silly mistake: like not pealing away the protection slip from the black one?
Don't laugh, happened before ;)

protection slips from both cartridges were removed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Allenm said:
what happens if you remove the colour cartridge and print a test page?

Merv

Removed colour cartridge but it wont allow you print anything with only one cartridge in

++++++++++++++++++

Now printing in black only after ive swore,shook and faffed with it.If i try a colour print everything comes out red :confused: Maybe the colour cartridge has only got red ink in it? :confused:

please note 10a

Have you run a self test and internal test print to eliminate the possibility of drivers? See the section for you printer in this document.

Have you checked the use-by date on the cartridges? They could be old and dried out. Also, if the tape was not properly sealed the jets may just be a bit clogged up. I would generally fix this with some Isopropyl Alcohol in a lint free cotton bud, but realise this may not be a common household item, I would not like to suggest what other chemical that you would find at home would also be ok, maybe someone else on may know.

Also, most HP printer drivers install a toolbox, one of the options in there will be to clean the cartridges, worth a go.

Merv

There are two ways to get black from a colour printer: use a black cartridge or overlay all three colours. There is no red ink. You get red by overlaying yellow and magenta. The third colour is cyan. If you don't have a black cartridge and cyan isn't working all your black stuff will come out red.

Since you've got a black cartridge I don't know why your printer tried to use the colour one at first. The fact that it worked after you "swore,shook and faffed with it" indicates a hardware fault. I've yet to find any software that will respond to this approach! Perhaps some of the multitude of electrical contacts weren't making properly. I would also speculate that the printer knows, or in you case thinks it knows, when it's run out of black ink and switches to three colours instead.

For cleaning start with water then move on to vodka and surgical spirit. If none of these work you can always drink the vodka!

Sponsored Links
Back