problem after oiling my kitchen work surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i've got a walnut butcher's block work surface, it's been oiled twice before but this time i think i've used too much linseed oil.

i rubbed it in one night but in the morning it hadn't all sunk in. there were patches so i tried to mop them up with a cloth but they had gone all dried up, a bit like glue, and when i rubbed them they turned into little beads of sticky stuff.

so what happened? did i use to much? or did the oil somehow bring out some of the sealant. i've now got these patches and streaks of a glue like substance on my metal hob.

is there anything i can do to get the stuff off?

cheers.

Sponsored Links
You put too much oil on. The technique is to rub or "paint" the opil on, leave for 5 to 10 minutes, then wipe off the excess.

Try using turpentine and a grey (denibbing) Scotchbrite cloth (from Machine Mart, car spray /refinishing places, etc - don't use a pan scourer as they are too coarse) and gently rubbing the affected areas (in line with the grain). This should dissolve the un-polymerised oil to an extent and allow you to wipe it off. If it doesn't work it may be a case of resanding the top and starting again.

Scrit

I would have though so, depends how well the oil has "set". I use turps or turps substitute to soften and remove resin from cutters when I've been sawing/machining pitch pine. It pongs a bit, though!

Scrit

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back