Problem monoblock tap: How do I access the washer?

DLR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone will be able to help me with this problem

My bathroom monobloc tap has started to drip and not shut off properly.

I've taken off the handle and then came accross the brass nut, I removed this and then what is there is a green plastic thing.

I'm guessing, but maybe wrong, but do I need to remove this green thing to access the washer?

The last time I turned the tap on, a load of black bits came out of the tap, is that the remains of the washer?

I have another monobloc tap on the bath, so I undid this to see what this was like, and it was the same.

Here is a link to a picture of the tap:

http://www.dlronline.btinternet.co.uk/Tap.jpg

Many thanks for reading and any help you can give.

Cheers
Darron.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Dan

The tap is part of the Valencia bathroom suite, so all I know it is is the Valencia Basin Mixer Tap.

Sponsored Links
Does it look like this?

pwd1249l.jpg

Yea Softus, it's the one on the left in that picture

Cheers for that weblink too Thanet.

Is this a job a novice like myself could tackle or am I better getting a plumber in?

I've sorted plain ordinary taps out before but this thing has got me stuck :D

DLR said:
Yea Softus, it's the one on the left in that picture
In that case go to Plumbworld and get a cartridge. They might redirect you to Bristan, but that's easy enough too.

Is this a job a novice like myself could tackle
Yes.

1. Isolate supply to tap.
2. Pull out the cartridge.
3. Push in the new cartridge.
4. Replace the brass that you removed.
5. Reinstate supply.
6. Stand back in amazement (but retain an air of quiet smugness when you're wife comes to check what you've done).

Cheers for the help guys :)

I'm looking forward to applying said smugness soon :D

Hi,

I enquired at Plumbworld, and they said they did not stock replacement cartridges for the tap.

I got side tracked then and never went back to it to repair.

Had a go today, and I've tried to pull out the old cartridge, but can't do it!

Is there a technique to pulling it out, or do I need to eat some more Weetabix?

Cheers, Darron.

Have you asked Bristan about a replacement cartridge?

When it comes to replacement, you can't just pull it out - you have to undo the retaining nut first. Did you do that?

If you're still having difficulty, can you post a picture (after removing the handle)?

Just came in on this one - how do you get the handle off to get at the cartridge? I'm looking at the Bristan monobloc pictured on the left which is the tap I am having a problem with.

Ive just seen this thread, and so far its been a great help! thanks too everyone!

but since having taken off the handle, i cant get at the cartridgeforthe lifeo f me. Fron what ive read, somesay its unscrews, but mine wont budge. i then hada tug of war with it, and still the bugger didnt move.

there was one little allen key nut holding the handle on, took that off, then took of small plastic spacer that attached the handle to the cartridge mech, and now all i have is this. Please see pics below.

image1ce.jpg

image2vj.jpg

image3an.jpg

image4dx.jpg

i hope these help indicate the complex nature of this cartridge. i dont know how to take it out.

Am really hoping i can get your help with this!

thanks in advance

Saboor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back