problem with bathroom halogens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got 3 halogen lights in my bathroom, each has its own transformer in between the false ceiling and the original ceiling.

The middle light of the sequence isn't working (I've tried more than one bulb in it!). Next thing i checked was the cables that go into the bulb fitting. On one of the terminals the rubber insulation had gone white and hard, i changed the fitting but the light's still dead
I'm guessing the next thing is to replace the transformer?
I can't get the transformer through the hole in the ceiling, and the real ceiling is still intact above the false ceiling.
Is replacing this transofrmer the next logical thing to do? To get access to it I'll have to make holes in the loft floor and Idon't want to do this if I'm missing something obvious.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is there enough slack on the cable to the light fitting for you to cut it back a bit and re-connect it?

If so it's worth a try - it might be that the cable itself is damaged- that could have been the cause of the of the overheating.

But if not, or if that doesn't work, then I guess lifting the floor in the loft.

You said you can't get the transformer through the hole in the ceiling - is this just because it's too big? If you have access to the transformer, could you disconnect it from the supply cable, and replace it with a new transformer pushed through the hole? i.e. leave the old one up there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back