Problem with British Gas Boiler RD1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone, I desperately need some advice.

I have been called into have a look at a boiler a (british gas RD1) which as far as I can tell is basically the same as the Ideal Classic.

When you turn the boiler on led 3 and 4 come on for about a second than go to led 3 flashing, which a acording to instructions is a sensor fault.

So any suggestions which sensor, I have already replaced the board and has not made any difference.

At the moment I am £200 down (the cost of new board) and the boiler is still not working.

Any suggestions as always will be greatfuly received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you need a competent boiler engineer who does not just change parts until it works.

I am a Corgi Engineer, have been for 20 years. I have followed instructions fault finding charts and made a judgment on what the results of the multi meter and my experience told me.

Do you think there is a chance I have been sold a faulty pcb?

I am sure I am not the only Engineer out there who has ever made a wrong diagnosis. I am not a cowboy, if I was I would have charged the customer for PCB and would be away on my horse by now, not trying to sort it out.

I'm sure if you posted some useful information e.g. resistance of the sensor at RT, etc, it would be possible to point you more in the right dir3ection

When you say classic, are you talking about a 25b/c pcb ?

Sponsored Links
I did realise that you were CORGI registered!

If the diagnostic display suggested the sensors were faulty then I would have expected you to have measured the resistance of the sensors!

Instead you chose to change the PCB ! Why?

Why are you being so aggressive, I am after help not more headaches.
Don't worry I will lay awake and work it out myself!!

how comes you didnt try replacing thermistor to start with?

Agile said:
I did realise that you were CORGI registered!

If the diagnostic display suggested the sensors were faulty then I would have expected you to have measured the resistance of the sensors!

Instead you chose to change the PCB ! Why?

oh come on tony we cant all be the all seeing eye can we, bet you have an orf day now and again ;)

mind u OP he means well gawd bless him :)

Beermat,

You need to replace the thermister harness. It has blue and red wires, one goes to the heat exchanger pocket(top right and also to the fan). It comes as one complete harness.

The boiler is basically a classic chassis and heat exchanger, the pcb is not a 25 board. It was designed to allow British Gas to attach a modem and carry out remote diagnostics via their call centre. This never happened for one reason or another?

beermatt3 said:
Any suggestions as always will be greatfuly received.

Thanks.

Some days are quite stressful but I would never fit a £200 pcb when the diagnostics indicate a £20 sensor!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back