problem with condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my house, one of the bedrooms has suffered from condensation on the ceiling from the loft space above. Apparently, in the loft the previous owner put old doors across the joist (to board out loft) which skimmed the top of the insulation....in winter, condensation formed on the underside of the door, which dripped down and caused damage to the bedroom ceiling. I have removed the door to provide better air movement and the problem seems to have dried out. Occassionally, the external walls feel slightly damp. The room is double glazed and has no obvious permanent ventilation.......to resolve any re-occurance of damp/condensation, should I install an air brick with hit & miss damper in the external wall or can I vent into the loft which is much easier to install ??? The window is sealed with no trickle vent. Any advise????

Sponsored Links
Did you have black staining on the ceiling - if so you have room-side condensation. Often recognisable because the staining is less where the joists are - this is called pattern staining.

Condensation will occur where there is high moisture vapour in the room and the temperature of the ceiling surface (or any other surface come to that) is low enough to cause the moisture vapour to reach dew point and condense on the surface.

Ventilation of the room will help but don't go mad. Trickle ventilation at most.

Increasing the amount of insulation of the loft will also help. This will raise the temperature of the ceiling surface.

Don't vent a room into the loft space. This will just pump even more warm vapour into the cold loft causing more loft space condensation.

Had same thing, thoughtlessly placed 2 spare kitchen cabinet doors across joists OVER BATHROOM !!
Dirty water marks on ceiling after one winter (In my case not black room side fungus), totally forgotten how ceilings etc 'breath' and just how much water vapour passes through them and this had condensated on the impervious doors and dripped onto ceiling from above.

Moved the door panels to a position over the stairwell.
No further problems .... A well ventilated loft is a necessity.

Don't panic, now you are looking closely you'll see things which you hadn't noticed previously .... Keep an eye on the situation ....

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back