Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've got ceiling crack problems. They've been there many
years and I've tried many times to cover them up but they
just come back !

The cracks that appear are between the ceiling plasterboards,
some are straight lines, and some are L shape.

I think the problem is that there is no support behind where
some of the plasterboards join, so when there some movement
in the ceiling (from the floor above), cracks appear.

Is there any flexy filler, tape, special plaster, or anything I can
do to solve the problem without having to replace the ceilings ?

We are moving house soon so I just need a cheap solution if
possible.

Thanks in advance.

Leo

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of flexible emulsions tio be had sepecifically for this problem...however they dont work miracles...you should rake to cracks out a little and fill then apply a couple of coats of paint...

Or...fill as above and then line the ceiling and paint with a couple of coats of ordinary emulsion

LeoTheLion said:
Hi all,

We've got ceiling crack problems. They've been there many
years and I've tried many times to cover them up but they
just come back !

Leo

Hi leo. Presume ceilings are smooth? I have had great success with this problem since I discovered 'self adhesive scrim tape' several years ago. Though I have found you need to use a good drylining joint filler with it.
I like to use Lefarge joint filler (lite) its ready mixed but pricey in big tubs, but it works sooo!
Simply apply tape over crack (if its a deep/wide crack fill first) Use a broad filler knife and just put on enough to hide the rib of the scrim, feather it out a bit about 3" each side of tape but dont be too fussy. Then leave to dry overnight, and then sand down with a sanding block, sands very easy but serious dust. It will probably leave a slight hump depending how nifty you are applying but this wont hurt. Prime with a thin coat of emulsion then a thicker coat then paint whole of ceiling.

Its a bit long winded but some cracks I did like this about 4 yrs ago have not come back. The alternative is as Zampa says.
good luck.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back