Problem with rehung door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have removed, stripped and rehung four internal doors. I have used new hinges that were slightly narrower than the old hinges (not ideal I know but the old hinges went AWOL during all the decorating :oops: ). Three of the doors were no problem however one is not hanging correctly.

Before removing it it was quite hard to close. It is now easy to close however although the top corner meets the top of the door frame when closed the bottom corner is a good couple of centimeters short of the bottom of the frame. If I pull on the door knob then the door will meet the frame at the base. I've checked with a spirit level and, as expected, the door frame is fine and it is the door that is out.

Additionally the door tends to swing open by itself, gathering pace as it opens.

Because the hinges were a different size I had to create new holes for the screws. As such I am reluctant to just attempt a trial and error fix. Apart from the two issues mentioned above the door looks fine - the hinge positions look ok to my eyes. I haven't found any tips for this sort of thing via google or on this site.

Does anyone have any ideas\ links please?

Sponsored Links
Is it a panelled door, with tenons? Or a flush door? And about how old? Is it on a room which tends to be warm and himid on one side (like a bathroom or kitchen)?

Hi

Thanks for responding.
Panelled with tenons. I don't know for sure but I know it is a pretty old door. It is a bedroom door and we have a new rad - it gets pretty hot bedroom side but obviously not especially humid.

OK. A old panelled door with tenons can easily be bent to shape.

Stand on the side with the top bent away from you. Put your foot on the floor firmly, pressed against the bottom of the door. Grab the top in your hand and pull it towards you (there will be a crack as the old paint gives way). If it is bent an inch one way, pull it two inches the other way (it will spring back partially). The tenoned joints and their old glue will move slightly, and the door will hold its new shape.

This does not work with modern doors, because they probably have a resin glue that will hold (not like old scotch glue) and some have dowels or glued joints, not tenons.

It also sounds as if you have not got your hinges perfectly aligned. Take the door off (with the hinges attached to it) and sight them as accurately as you can, since the door seems to spring open. Check the door edge and the frame for straightness.

Sponsored Links
Krypton maybe ? Thats where we stand on doors and just bend them into shape :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back