Problematic stains on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to everyone, just a bit of advice please. I have rercently stripped the wall paper from my mid terraced ground floor front room lounge in order to have the wall skimmed. On one of the partition walls i noticed that on the wall was a perfectly circular dark spot, about 10 pence size, about 5 feet up the wall. All efforts to rub this spot away have failed.

Anyway, the wall was skimmed and looks good, but when the wall dried, the spot has shown through the new plaster. can't think what this might be, this wall was damp proofed last year. Don't want to paint the wall as i intended as i think this spot will show through, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Puzzled Anthonini

Sponsored Links
it sounds like its an old electric conduite either for a light switch or wall light i skimmed over some years ago and their not galvanized so a rust coloured circle shows through, ive been told if you paint gloss over it then emulsion when the gloss dries it wont show through but ive never done it my self.

thanks for your reply. Sounds about right, would be at the right height, and i would agree that the circle is rust coloured. pva'd the walls yesteday, will try the gloss first and let you know, thaks anthony

Sponsored Links
If the gloss doesn't work try an alkaline resistant primer paint. Failing that phone the Dulux technical helpline, they have all kinds of cool products.

Nod

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back