Problems wiring up new light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When attempting to put up a new light fitting I took the old pendant fitting down checking how if was all wired up even taking a photograph before I disconnected it. I was surprised by the number of wires coming from the supply. The way it had previously been connected there was one black with a red sleeve on it connected to the live terminal 3 red connected to the loop terminal, and two black connected to the neutral terminal, and the earth with yellow/green sleeve on it connected to the earth terminal. The earth wire has 3 copper wires coming out of it. The new light fitting I was trying to put up only has a live neutral and earth connecter. I connected it up connecting the two black wires to the neutral terminal. The three earth copper wires to the earth and only the single black one with the red sleeve to the live terminal leaving the three red wires loose I taped them with insulation tape. I fixed the light fitting to the ceiling turned the electrics back on and the lights didn't work, but not now the kitchen lights don't work either. I disconnected the light fitting. It hasn't made any difference to the kitchen lights though. We're completely in the dark now downstairs and it's fair to say the mrs is non too pleased. Fortunately the upstairs lights are working. Can somebody please help me with the downstairs lighting problems. I'm getting really desperate now. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The 3 reds need to be connected together in an insulated terminal, if you have taped them up individually you are breaking the loop.

Go to the electrical part of the forum and click on the "WIKKI" there you will see a diagram for a lighting circuit.

Turn off the circuit and make sure it is dead before you work on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back