Problems with new kitchen ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to replace my kitchen ceiling light and at first it all seemed fairly straightforward. I took the old bulb holder down and simply replaced it with the new one, wiring it exactly the same as the old one had been wired (the 3 blue wires to the 2 black wires, the 3 brown wires to the 1 black and the 3 red wires together not connected to anything).

Now the kitchen light works fine but when it's turned on my lounge light won't work. Turning the kitchen light OFF means I CAN turn the lounge light on but it's very dim and when the lounge light comes on so does the kitchen light but like the lounge light it's very dim.

I just can't figure out where the problem lies as all I did was replace the bulb holder and wired it up in exactly the same way as the old setup. Maybe the problem lies with the lounge light?

Sponsored Links
what you have said is correct, how ever it sounds very much like one of the wires has snapped off when you put the light up on the ceiling.

Take it down again (sorry :cry: ) and have a look

your longe light is actullly back feeding through your kitchen light which is why it is dim

I'll take it down again tomorrow and make sure nothing has snapped off and all wires are securely wired in.

The lounge light may have some suspect wiring ( it's supposed to be on a dimmer switch but that hasn't worked in years) but I suppose the problem has to be with the kitchen light seeing as it was all working ok before and the only light I've touched is the kitchen light.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back