1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Process for block and beam

Discussion in 'Building' started by shabbaranks, 10 Feb 2021.

1. shabbaranks

shabbaranks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Learning as I'm going and its going well. Could someone advise me please - running block and beam - would you cement the underside of the DPM which the block sits on?

I know the beams just sit on the top of the dpm and once you've blocked it you run a cement mix effectively grouting the blocks and binding them together.

Thanks

2. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise, all DPCs should be bended on a solid bed of mortar. There is no DPM.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. shabbaranks

shabbaranks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks @^woody^ I was getting my c's and m's mixed up but I understand so thank you.

Just to double check another thing. Do you run the the first beam on top of the first course of the internal block or should this sit to the side. Ive taken a couple of pictures to show what its like currently with a illustrated image of what I mean

20210212_084910.jpg 20210212_084912.jpg 20210212_084958 - with beam rn.jpg 20210212_084958 - with beam.jpg 20210212_084958.jpg

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When parallel to the wall, the beam sits to the side of the wall, like a wooden floor joist would be, so that the wall can continue upwards.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. jeds

jeds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, run the beam alongside and lay the first block from the beam to the inner leaf if necessary. After you've prep'd and tidied up underneath of course.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local