Project New Path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for some advice before I start a project in spring replacing a path i have in my garden. The aforementioned path allows access to my house from the pavement down a slight decline onto a flat paved base leading upto my front door.

At the moment I have paving slaps maybe 6 runing down the centre of a rectangular cut out from my lawn leaving two channels either side to plant bulbs or whatever takes ones fancy. Now i would estimate the incline from bottom to top of this slope to be about 3 ft so with all the slabs having a slope it can be quite slippy in the wet. A few of the slabs are also loose and cracking in places.

Now my idea was to replace the slabs but without simply dumping them on the mud but to have a stepping effect so that each slab would be stable and of course level with a spirit guage. Dealing with the edges for decor can be done later all i want at the moment is an attractive path that looks safe and level. I estimate the distance from bottom to top is about 8 ft.

At the moment there is grey slaps but they look a bit rank seeing as my brickwork is red. I was thinking more of a sandstone kind of colour.

I am just looking for any advice on preparation people could offer me. For instance what slabs would be best, what stone would i use at the front of each slab to raise the next step up enough to give a level surface, would i need hardcore under each slab or even concrete them in.

Any advice deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Russell.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back