ProLine Univbolt battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a Black and Decker ProLine cordless drill back in the early 1990's, I've hardly used it and it's in almost as new condition. I came with a 12v battery which is now completely useless and will not charge. Anyone know where I may be able to purchase a new battery at a reasonable price?

Sponsored Links
to be honest, shame that it is, bin it and buy a new drill, it will be cheaper and less hassle

Or get some nicad cells, and open the battery casing and fit the new cells in. They will generally be generic batteries inside so can be swapped out

Either get some tagged industrial ones, or buy a battery pack of the same voltage from another manufacturer, and canabalise it

Sponsored Links
probelme with ^wood^'s suggestion is
1) battery packs are usualy ultrasonicly welded shut or very undercooked screws

2) you have to get the same type of cells

3) It sounds a good idea, but is often not worth it, due to hassle, and expense of it all.

as i said in the first place it is a shame, but thats the way it is

Thanks for basically confirming what I already suspected.
I've looked carefully at the battery and did attempt to open it up, it is 'welded' along the seams and will almost certainly be destroyed/unusable if I force it open. The issue with the batteries, I think is that they will almost certainly be a unique size. I had the same problem a few years ago with a Black and Decker rechargable torch, the batteries in this case where easily accessable, but the length and diameter where different to anything I could readily find on the net.
If my only choice is to bin it, trying to open the battery is not a loss and I may give a go.
Thanks again for each of your replies.

Walto

There is a thread on here (about drills I think but I couldnt find it again) with a link to a site which will re-cell your batteries.

Could be worth a look

yes, but at what cost? as in

new cells for battery cost x new drill costs y

where x = 50p

where y = 60p

if you see what i mean, but yes its worth asking

Its inbuilt into most of us not to throw good stuff away. I have a few cheapy cordless tools lying around but cant get replacement parts or chargers etc, but not as much as the pristine computer gear in the loft which I can't even give away, but can't bear to take down the tip.

It's an emotional thing and it may well be time to just let go and buy a cheap [chinese] new drill and 5000 piece accessory set for £20, which will last as long as your current drill.

In fact, I did get a cordless sander, drill and jigsaw for £19.99 last year from focus. Its power devil so only gets used when no-one is watching, but has helped me out several times. And they are to ones with I loan out when some one asks me to borrow them stuff, and I have doubts about its eventual return

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back