Pros and cons of using water based satin over oil based?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have started to decorate my hall, landing and stairs and have 11 door liners/architraves and around 30 meters of skirting to paint!

I have done a lot of decorating in my time and always work to a high standard of finish.
my usual method is to sand, two coats of undercoat (sanding between coats) then a high quality oil based satin to achieve a good quality finish.

My current house is only two years old and now requires redecorating due to cracking and shrinkage so the woodwork is in great condition.

My question is:-

Are water based satins as good as oil based?

I have two young children and need a fast drying satin that will also withstand knocks from the odd fire engine and Barbi coupe.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
In my opinion water/acrlylic based wood paint is RUBBISH compared to oil based. Though, water/acrlylic based wood paint does not yellow over time, as does oil based. However, to get round this all u need to fo is paint your wood with an light colour when using oil based paints i.e. off whites.

Water based paints will never give a good finish as the surface tension of water is high. Oil will flow - water won't.
Not only that, water based paints have poor adhesion over oil based paints.

joe

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply chaps.

I think i will go for oil based

Which brand is the best for preventing yellowing??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back