Protecting outside gas supply pipe

fjt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

A plumber has told me that when my new boiler is fitted the gas supply will be run along the side of the house. I guess this will be done in copper pipe, but should some sort of metal casing or channel protect it? I'm worried that it could be prone to vandalism or accidental damage if it was just copper clipped to the wall?

I’m thinking of putting some channel along the wall in preparation for the fitting of the gas supply pipe to save the plumber some time, and hopefully do a neater job!.

What sort of channel would you guys use. Open or covered, galvanised or painted? Any recommendations and typical costs for a straight 10m run would be welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its normal to use exposed copper tube. This in itself is very strong and does not need any additional protection.

Putting it inside ducting makes it more obtrusive and creates gas safety problems as the duct will then need to be ventilated.

Unless there is a very specific threat of severe damage then I recommend that you leave it a bare copper tube. Are you likely to bash anything against this pipe on a regular basis?

To avoid corrosion problems the gas pipe should be at least 300 mm above the ground and must be clipped at regular intervals with closed clips. Its a good idea to paint it although copper oxidises and forms a protective film naturally so thats not necessary either.

Tony

The side of my end terrrace house has a narrow alleyway that allows vehicle and pedestrian access to the back of the terrace where people have garages, so I was thinking that it would be best to protect the pipe.

There has been a couple of times where people have clipped the corner of the house as they drive through, and there has been a little bit of minor vandalism over the past few months, so i'm trying to be cautious.

The plumber did talk about some sort of open steel galvanized channel and was going away to think about the options. I'm worried the 'options' may become expensive!

Use steel tubing for the vulnerable section. It could be galvanised to avoid external corrosion, otherwise painted. It will be almost unbreakable and won't have any scrap value.

Sponsored Links
Copper is easy to repair if there ever was any damage. The same does not apply to screwed steel.

I see open gas meters all over London and I have never heard of any intentional damage from vandals. Its surprising to me!

If vehicle damage is a possibility then adding a concrete kerb along the outside wall may deal with this.

Tony

If damage from cars is your concern just raise the section up out of the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back