Pull cord 40 Amp as cooker isolator ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be accpetable to have a ceiling mounted pull cord DP switch as isolator for a built in cooker. Such as a 40 amp shower isolator

The owner is partly disabled and reaching a wall mounted isolator over the work surface would be difficult if not impossible. Wall space is limited and the cable route will be via the ceiling void.

Sponsored Links
It's an unusual arrangement, but I don't see any reason why not as long as it is appropriately sited.

I forsee a problem with this..

the first decent breeze will blow the pull cord onto the cooker and burn it..

if it's far enough for it not to do this then it's not close enough to the cooker to be classed as local isolation..

catch 22...

Sponsored Links
some sort of restraint on the cord? screw eyelet? or a switch mounted to the front of the cabinetry? (i know i know fabric of the building etc)

You can mount it within 2m of the cooker, so it doesn't have to be that close as to be in danger....

securespark said:
You can mount it within 2m of the cooker, so it doesn't have to be that close as to be in danger....

Please could you identify where a distance of 2M of the cooker is specified?

ColJack said:
I forsee a problem with this..

the first decent breeze will blow the pull cord onto the cooker and burn it..

if it's far enough for it not to do this then it's not close enough to the cooker to be classed as local isolation..

catch 22...

Also struggling to find a definition for "local isolation" can someone help me out with this one ?

Common sense would (to me) say that it should be within reach of someone using the cooker.

476-03-04 "Readily accessible position". Doesnt say 2m mind but maybe 2m is a Building regs standard for the term "readily accessible position"

FatGit said:
Common sense would (to me) say that it should be within reach of someone using the cooker.

I'm just questioning some of the assumptions/statements made and figures quoted, which may or may not be correct but to my knowledge or investigations are not regulations in BS7671.

Does somebody who uses a cooker remain within, say, 2 meters of it whilst the cooker is in use ? (be a bit boring cooking a sunday roast)

If the cooker developed a fault which did not automatically disconnect the supply would you want someone in a metal wheel chair within 2M of it !!?

Or maybe have a pull cord by the door on the way out.... ;)

RobFurn said:
476-03-04 "Readily accessible position". Doesnt say 2m mind but maybe 2m is a Building regs standard for the term "readily accessible position"

This is a requirement of emergency switching, not isolation. And in any case, just being within 2M does not necessarily mean its readily accessible, especially to disabled persons, in fact it could mean quite the opposite if out of reach at the back of the worktop in the usual position.

One could argue the use of pull cord switches in kitchens is more in line with the requirements of section 8 of Approved Document M to make outlets and accessories accessible to persons with limited reach (applies to all new dwellings)

equitum said:
RobFurn said:

This is a requirement of emergency switching, not isolation.

Yeah I know but its written into "Cooker Final Circuits in Household Premises" in Guidance note 1. Its the only reference I could find on the subject within the regs or otherwise. Appendix C Page 149/150 if your interested

Thanks for all the replies.

As it seems a pull cord is acceptable the planning of the kitchen ( a volunteer effort ) for the lady concerned is greatly simplified.

It will be postioned so as to be easy to reach and safe from harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back