pump still running.should it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have drained my central heating system by tying up the ballcock in the small header tank in my loft and drained all the radiators,have also turned of the room thermostat and the boiler programme for no central heating.the system is not a sealed and i do not have a combi boiler.
the problem is the pump started this morning with no water in it,a loud clanking sound it made and the only way to make it stop was to turn off the hot water on the boiler programme ?could it be the bypass valve or something?any advice would greatly appreciated.thanks.

Sponsored Links
The pump is supposed to run for both central heating and hot water since you have a fully pumped system.

It sounds like you have bollixed the pump by allowing it to run dry, so this will have to be replaced.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
have drained my central heating system by tying up the ballcock in the small header tank in my loft and drained all the radiators,have also turned of the room thermostat and the boiler programme for no central heating....

I assume the system is still drained.

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
the problem is the pump started this morning with no water in it,a loud clanking sound it made and the only way to make it stop was to turn off the hot water on the boiler programme ?

A good move.

Problem sorted, unless you want hot water :confused:
Unless you have an immersion heater you'll have to refill the system to get the HW function to work.

I have to ask, if you know so little about the system you are working on, why did you drain it in the first place?

The pump may or may not have been damaged.

Until you have tried it with the system full of water you will not know.

Obviously to everyone else the heating system should have been turned off if it was drained as its not designed to run dry and this is likely to do damage to the pump and the boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
SOunds like air is still in there. Have you bled everything, including the pump itself?? (release the central screw(dribbles))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back