pushfit connectors/plastic pipe and inserts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

i am a little confused. Until now i beleived that pushfit pipe/connectors did not require a pipe insert. The inserts were only required in the plastic pipe if you used it with a conventional compression fitting.

In posts elsewhere on this forum, i it seems to suggest that plastic pipe to pushfit connector (speedfit was mentioned) requires a pipe insert as well.

i have several speedfit connectors i have installed in my house and have not used any inserts :eek: and nothing leaks (yet???)

can anyone give me the official word as the fella in the brown coat said i didn't need em!! (and he knows everything doesn't he???)

PS. Surely copper pipe to a pushfi connector would not need a pipe insert??

thanks Matt

Sponsored Links
check out your home insurance policy is up to date, if you have plastic pipework without inserts, whichever fitting you are using, if you don't know how to make a competent/safe connection then get someone who does, after all you would not attempt to drive a car without the knowledge of basic lessons or some idea and experience in how to drive :!:

The little brown coated man, was he a B&Q reject? Pushfit either speedfit or hep20 is fine on copper without inserts as the rigid pipe will not crush.
Plastic pipe has to be supported by an insert and also the correct insert. Stainless steel for the grey hep20, white plastic with little rubber seals for speedfit. Get some inserts and insert! Shouldn't take you long to do!

All pastic pipe, especially speed fit needs inserts. The inserts also have o rings on them as well. They also support pipe in fitting when it gets hot!

If speedfit joints are near or against joists etc you should also have used the circlips on the joint to stop them accidentally pushing against something and releasing themselves.

new speedfit fittings do not need circlips as they twist lock after fitting.

You will need plain inserts if connecting into compression fittings ;)

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old post but ive been reading a few other thoughts on this recently. perhaps someone could explain to me the mechanics of why exactly a metal ( or plastic depending on make) insert MUST be used on a plastic pipe joint when using a push fit connector? (I completely understand why they must be used on a compression fitting)
Ive dismantled dozens of push fit joints that have been in use for many years that have been fitted with inserts ( & also many dozen others without!) & have always found the inserts to be "falling out" loose in the end of the pipe! So, exactly what purpose have they been serving here all those years?Not so with a compression joint of course, its very obvious why they have been fitted!
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back