putting new window in gable end...need advice please :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,could do with some advice about my little project.....to put a new window in the top area of a gable end external wall, right up near the apex of the roof, don`t see too many problems...but would like to have chat with anyone whos either done it, or knows the routine for fitting a new window, from making the opening to finish......any contributions however small would be very welcome :)))

Sponsored Links
Before you do anything you need to check with your local planning control(free advice) as it to do with fire regulation and building insurance.I haven't got the latest info,I think it used be 4m away from your neighbour wall etc,if it's less then you will have to put in glass block which is fire resistant.

And what is the window for ? to let in the light into loft area or room conversion,if so there are better ways of letting light in instead of chopping out hole in the wall.

How big is the window are you thinking about and how near to the gable end etc.......

yeah i`ve checked out with the council and as it overlooks a back lane with a house on the other side of lane, and doesn`t look into anyones house or windows all i need is a permit to build i think it was called...what ever it was its very simple to get and is issued rather than applied for, the window is for the view out over a harbour and the sea, and the size is about 5ft x 3.5 ft, just right for a 6` lintel ;) and the space it will be allowing light into is already the attic, so its an existing room....as its obviously high up work on the outside i`ve been trying to sort out what i could do from the inside to minimise the time i would need for a scaffold tower etc. e.g fitting the lintel to the inside skin of the cavity wall and cutting the hole out from the attic side and that would leave the outside skin for the scaffold work...not sure if that reads like i meant it to sound

"permit to build i think it was called" is building permission.

Not sure how your roof layout to the sea is,but have you thought of this ? A lot easier to install than a window and have a balcony for a better view (?) but might be dearer way of doing it.You would be adding a lot more value onto your property (because of sea view)if you make it into a proper room with building permission plan.

Sponsored Links
well it wasn`t "permit to build " then...lmao....your idea would be fine but as its a flat wall i`m putting the window into ...not the roof, or sloping side of the roof.....imagine yourself looking up at a gable end , about 6` down from the apex of the roof is where I`ll be putting it, and the place its going is already a full blown room in its own right, by attic i meant a 3rd floor to the house not a roof space.....told you i wouldn`t explain it very well......lol....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back