Putting up LCD TV on Wall Mount - Weaker Wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I've got a 26" Samsung LCD TV. In the box, it's 35lbs so out of the box I'd say it would be about 28lbs (13-14Kg)

I bought a bracket, fits my TV and everything only now I am aving trouble putting it up.

The wall I want the TV on isn't a concrete/brick wall. It's hollowish and I believe only has inside it compact straw and a thin layer of plaster on top of it.

I've been told not to put the TV up without seeking proper guidence, hence me coming to this forum.

Has anyone got any recomendations to get past this problem, since I want my TV up ASAP. Putting it up on another wall isn't an option for me.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

what is "compact straw"?

Does the brcket not have any fixings ie. raw bolts?

If the wall is plaster over brick then you should be able to get a good fixing providing the right fixings/drill bits are used.

RMS said:
what is "compact straw"?

It is horrid stuff that is an absoloute b*****d to fix to.

Is the wall an external wall?

The only way I know of fixing someting of this weight to a wall like this is to bolt right through with this:

threadedrod.jpg
m12washer.jpg
m12locknut.jpg

RMS said:
Does the brcket not have any fixings ie. raw bolts?

Yes, they came with bolts and fixings. I just don't think it'll hold the weight.

RMS said:
If the wall is plaster over brick then you should be able to get a good fixing providing the right fixings/drill bits are used.

It's not brick.

RF Lighting said:
Is the wall an external wall?

Internal... I think. I'm a total noob with this stuff. It's not facing outside, it has another room behind it.

RF Lighting said:
The only way I know of fixing someting of this weight to a wall like this is to bolt right through with this:

threadedrod.jpg
m12washer.jpg
m12locknut.jpg

What are those called and how do they work?

Sponsored Links
from left to right

studding (treaded bar to you and me)

washer

loc nut

you drill a hole though the wall put washer and bolt on poke same through the braket and put washer and bolt on other side of wall (yes you cut studding to size first)

i dont think it will work though, washers are too small, you will need a plate on other side of wall

buy a tv stand much easier

TV stand isn't an option either. Hard to explain but trust me lol

I'm going to read all suggestions so if anyone has any way I can get this up on the wall safely I would appreciate it.

I highly appreciate the reples so far, thanks.

my rads were installed on this stuff in my house about a year ago,im not advising it but they were fixed using heavy duty rawl plugs and at least 2 inch no 10 screws,the fixings were solid

On compact straw? So if I use rawl plugs in on the bracket, they should hold the weight of the TV on that weak wall?

Nitro said:
On compact straw? So if I use rawl plugs in on the bracket, they should hold the weight of the TV on that weak wall?
I'm afraid not :cry:

On the strawbale wall you have what they called a number of Hazel pins which is timber that extends the whole height of the each side of the strawbale wall, unless you know where they are, that's the only fixing studs available. Another theory although I haven't done this, is to chop out 2 channel using something like 3"x3" timber resting on the bottom and fixed to the top wall base plate then make goods. You now then have a timber stud to fix your bracket.

How about a nice couple of stainless steel pipe or round timber in front of the wall fixed from the floor to the ceiling and you have the TV whatever height is suitable or a hanging bracket made up from the ceiling level.

Nitro said:

if you dont know the structure of the wall no,you say its hollow ish,mine were pretty solid and would take a rawl plug fixing

trickey 1 this; mmm whats on the other side of the wall, i mean it sounds drastic but bolt through.

or u could as has been surgested use gigantic collapsable rawl plugs; wht not instal a wire leash attached to the roof beams as a safety,paint it the same colour as the walls it wont show too much,

i know , but there just surgestions

If it must go on that wall with the bracket, and you don't want to come home with whats left of your TV on the floor, drastic action must be taken. IMHO.

I would chop out a section of the wall the width of the bracket from floor to ceiling. Then rebuild with studwork, plasterboard etc, leaving noggins in the correct positions to mount frame.

Skimping now will leave you in tears when you have to buy a new TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back