Quantities of materials for a concrete block wall

wjm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to build a concrete block wall (in the form of a single storey outbuilding). I have estimated the it will need approximately 750 concrete blocks (100x440x215mm).

However I have no idea how much sand/cement is needed for such a job? Any ideas?

Also what mix is best? 4:1 sand/cement?

Any thoughts/ideas/solutions :D welcome...

Thanks in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
Best mix is supposed to be 5:1 for exterior brickwork but can't help you with the quantities you need. I'm building retaining walls and am doing it by the spade and nip to wi++es whenever I'm running low, approx same number of bricks and been thru' 20 bags sand so far, and not finished !!

5:1 ratio will be okay,

You will need approx .700 cubic metre or 3/4 metre for a 15mm joint.

A normal size jumbo bag is .600 metre which you might get away with and jumbo bag are not 1 metre as people led to believe !

or have 3/4 to 1 metre delivered loose which is rare now.

As for cement quantity the builder merchants will have a calulation charts for cement against sand ratio volume

Also remember that if you have a dry mix of a tonne, when you add water (which is heavy), you'll end up with just over 3/4 tonne of mortar (eh??, I know, does my head in as well!!!!)

Sponsored Links
Scoby.. that can't be right :?: How come a metric ton can become 750 kg by adding !!!!!! Water..
Does that mean that i will lose 2 stone if i become waterlogged?
Where is that tap???

It does become heavier but the "quantity" shrinks, 1m cubed dry becomes just over 3/4 m cubed when wet.
I've tried the water trick, mixed with barley/hops and yeast, I'm still putting on weight !!
Mind , the beer is that bad I'm drinking it so no-one else has to suffer :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Scoby_Beasley, i will help you out with the beer, after all why should you suffer alone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back